Helpful Hints for Window Fashions
We offer several services to keep your shades and blinds in good condition and working order.
- Raising or lowering blinds – to properly raise or lower a blind, it is important to be sure the blind is in the open position, then carefully raise or lower to the desired position. If the blind is heavy, support the bottom rail with one hand as you raise or lower the blind with the other hand.
- Traversing vertical blinds – as with horizontal blinds, the vertical blind vanes need to be in the open position. Then the blind can be traversed without misaligning the vanes.
- Tightening the spring in a roller shade – to tighten a spring, draw the shade down a few revolutions while it is still in the brackets. Remove the roller from the brackets, roll up the shade and replace. If the spring is too strong, remove the shade from the brackets with the shade rolled up. Allow a few turns of the shade to unwind and replace.
Faux Wood/Vinyl Products
- Use dryer sheets to reduce static cling and repel dust.
- Don't use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents. They will scratch or damage the surface.
- Avoid ammonia-based products.
Wood or Hybrid Products
- Clean using a soft clean cloth, feather duster, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with a soft brush attachment can also be used.
- Do not use ultrasonic cleaning or chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers.
- Avoid exposure to high moisture areas.
- When cleaning windows, spray glass cleaner should be sprayed directly on the cloth instead of the window to prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering the cleaner.
Cloth Tapes/Polyester Tapes/Rayon or Acetate Tapes
- All cloth tapes can be spot-cleaned with fabric cleaning wipes found at the grocery store. They usually do not leave a stain or discolor the tapes.
- 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water and a clean white cloth. A mild detergent can also be used on 100% polyester trims. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
- Rayon or acetate tapes are shiny or have a luster. DO NOT USE WATER. This will result in water stains. Wipes are the best for spot-cleaning.
Fabric Shades, Shadings or Window Panels
- Magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt should not be used on light-dimming fabrics.
- Spray window cleaner on a cloth instead of the glass to prevent damage to the fabric.
All fabric window covering products are recommended for indoor use only.
Tips on Care and Cleaning of Window Treatments
Following are care and maintenance recommendations for most window fashions. For additional information, contact your retailer or the manufacturer of your product. Most companies can be accessed online.
Recommended Cleaning Methods:
- Dusting. Regular light dusting maintains a like-new appearance for most blinds, shades, shadings, sheers, shutters and window panels.
- Vacuuming. Most products can be vacuumed gently with a brush attachment, using a vertical stroke with the exception of the Hunter Douglas Alustra Luminette and Luminette Privacy Sheers.
- Compressed air or hair dryer (non-heat setting.) Use to blow dust off window coverings.
- Spot-cleaning. Most but not all shades and blinds can be spot-cleaned with a moistened soft cloth or sponge. Use mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging fabrics. Rubbing can be damaging. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
- Bathtub cleaning/water immersion. This method can generally be used for most light- filtering or semi-opaque cell/honeycomb and pleated shades and room darkening fiberglass roller shades. Faux wood and vinyl products can also be cleaned in this manner. It is not recommended for opaque cell/honeycomb shades and pleated shades, light- filtering roller shades or Hunter Douglas Luminettes. It is also not recommended for fabric window treatments such as Roman Shades or blinds with decorative tapes which may shrink. Water should not be used to clean any wood products including woven wood or hybrid products. If in doubt, contact your retailer or manufacturer.
Ultrasonic cleaning. With a few exceptions, products that can't be cleaned with the bathtub cleaning/water immersion method also can't be cleaned with the ultrasonic method, which also involves water immersion.
Injection/extraction cleaning system. This method uses a cleaning solution that is injected into the fabric and immediately extracts the dirty solution. It is a deep cleaning method that can be used on most soft fabric-based products. It should not be used to clean fabric-covered head rails, valances or returns.
- Immerse entire product in lukewarm water with a mild detergent. Wash for a few minutes by gently moving liquid around with your fingers. DO NOT immerse headrails of products with retractable cord systems, cordless systems, and motorized systems.
- Rinse with clear water.
- Close shade or blind before removing from water. Room darkening fiberglass roller shades should be wiped down with a soft, dry cloth.
- Hold rails and tilt the shade or blind to allow excess water to drain off.
- Re-install damp shade into window opening. It is advisable to dry off aluminum blinds after re-installing them to avoid water spots.
- Lower shade or blind all the way to allow it to dry completely.